It is always wonderful to take your pooch for a stroll on the beach. But dogs have a tendency to eat anything! British beaches are being littered with toxic fatbergs which have crossed the Atlantic from the Caribbean. The unsightly blobs of fat smell appealing to pooches but it is vital that dogs are not allowed to eat them as they are canine killers.
Deadly Blobs of Fat
The deadly fat blobs are actually congealed palm oil. Some of them are really huge and they have started washing up regularly in Newquay, Cornwall. It is feared that many beaches on the South Coast will be afflicted by the blobs this year.
Several dogs have already died after munching on the killer fatbergs. They are attracted to them due to the distinctive smell. But the material is so gelatinous that it can get stuck in a dog’s oesophagus causing an obstruction which can only be removed by surgery. If the fat isn’t removed urgently, the dog will suffocate. In addition, the fat is packed full of nasty germs which cause gastric illness.
Warnings for Dog Owners in Newquay
In Newquay, a local veterinary practice has been issuing warnings about the fat. Last year this surgery had to perform life-saving treatment on five animals which all collapsed in agony after swallowing the congealed palm oil.
Fat Blobs on the South Coast
In February this year, fatty blobs washed up along the Sussex and Kent coasts. Dorset, Hampshire and Devon have also been affected. It is thought that dozens of dogs have died after ingesting the material. It is also important that children are kept away from the germ-ridden fat. Unfortunately, it is legal for ships to dump the fat in the sea.
Warnings in Brighton
Brighton and Hove City Council have warned ‘Anyone who spots any suspected palm oil on the beach should contact the seafront team on 01273 292716.’ But the fat keeps coming and local councils are now putting warning signs on beaches. Dogs and people should always keep away from the fat and those who do come into contact with it must wash their skin and clothes as soon as possible. In Cornwall, contractors have been engaged to remove the material from council-owned beaches.
Long Standing Problem
The fatbergs have been an issue for some time now. In 2014 a labradoodle called Freddie was rushed to a vet after eating lumps of the fat on a beach in Cornwall. It required a series of treatments to save him. The poor animal had to endure vomit inducing drugs and many injections. This incident occurred shortly after the death of another dog in the area.
Also in 2014, a fatberg weighting almost a quarter of a ton was found on the Isle of Wight. It required three people and a trolley to remove it from the beach. In 2013 miniature schnauzer Zanzi died after eating the palm oil and in 2014 a Labrador called Luna required life-saving treatment after eating fat on the beach in Brighton.
If you take your dog to any beach be aware of the problem and take action immediately if your pooch eats any of the fat.